When you’re connected to a public wifi network, at places such as co-working spaces, cafes, and airports – your traffic and data can be seen by snoopers – unless you use a VPN.
Without a VPN protecting your data from spying eyes, hackers are able to see your:
- Web pages downloaded from the internet
- Passwords entered into insecure websites
- Files backed up to the internet
- SMS messages (iMessage and Whatsapp are encrypted though)
- Any other data being sent/received by applications on your computer/phone
Some applications and websites automatically encrypt your data, but how can you be sure?
To protect yourself and your data you should use a VPN at all times, especially when you are on a public network or one that is not your own.
What is a VPN?
VPN stands for Virtual Private Network. It creates a secured, encrypted tunnel between your device and the VPN provider, providing a safe passageway for your data. You should use VPN on your computer and phone to keep your data safe.
- Always use a VPN when you’re on a public network
- Never access financial accounts if you’re not on VPN
- When in doubt, always use a VPN for privacy
Does your business need help implementing a VPN solution for your team? Shoot us an email at [email protected] to let us know!