Ever go to the local coffee shop to work and feel like someone is peeking over your shoulder, watching everything you’re doing on your laptop?
That’s because they can, and probably are. Virtually, that is.
When you connect to a public Wi-Fi network, your traffic, and data can be seen by pretty much anyone who cares to look and has just enough tech savvy to find it. Here are some of the things hackers can find out about you when you use public networks:
- Websites you visit
- Passwords you enter, especially on sites that aren’t secure
- Files you back up to the cloud
- Unencrypted text messages or emails
- Any other data you send or receive through applications
Coffee shops, airports, hotels, co-working spaces, and the like do us a great service by providing internet access to the public so we can work in any location we choose. At the same time, we do ourselves a great disservice by connecting to public networks without protecting our data.
Using a virtual private network, or VPN, allows you to work securely in any location.
As your data travels from your device to its final destination, a VPN provides a secure, encrypted tunnel that prevents prying eyes from seeing your exact passwords, text messages, etc. Instead, hackers would see a scrambled series of letters, numbers, and characters that make absolutely no sense to the naked eye, keeping you and your data safe while you #WorkFromAnyWhere.
The best part? Many popular VPN services are available for as little as a few dollars per month. If you’re not sure which one to choose, we recommend Cloudflare VPN.
Our mission at Geek Girl Tech is to protect women-owned and other businesses by educating them about security awareness.
We share our cybersecurity expertise because we know how frustrating it can be to think you’re doing everything right, just to find out someone got ahold of your data anyway.
Many of the businesses we serve are solopreneurs and teams of 2-10 people. Every business needs a cybersecurity protocol in place, but not all businesses have the budget for full-service security management.
That’s why we’re launching a new, DIY service to help small businesses by:
- Recommending the right tools to fit your business and your budget, including an inexpensive VPN for you and your employees to use anywhere, anytime.
- Providing security awareness courses for you and your team
- Teaching you or someone on your team how to administer and implement your security tools and protocols.
- Giving you a complete roadmap of steps to take and tasks to complete.
- Providing you with weekly group calls to answer your questions and walk you through your tasks, step-by-step.
Think of us like that secure VPN tunnel. We’ll help you and your team move safely across the internet, so you can do what you do best without accidentally exposing your data to the world.
If this service sounds like a good idea for you and your team, we’d love to welcome you as one of our early adopters. Please let us know if you’re interested here and we’ll add you to our list. You can also just reply to this email.
The world doesn’t need to know what you’re up to. Neither does Bob the Hacker at the next table over.
Let us help you secure your data and your business.